See the list of current leaders, here.
In addition to the common requirements for all leaders (current First Aid and CPR certification), backpacking leaders should have the following qualifications.
- Knowledge of prevention, recognition, and treatment of hypothermia and frostbite.
- Working knowledge of all equipment used in this activity (see below).
- Ability to plan and organize multiple day/night trips into the backcountry (itinerary, meals etc.).
- Knowledge/recognition of own limitations as well as the limitations of others.
- Knowledge of or willingness to abide by the rules and regulations of the recreational areas being used.
- Knowledge of “Leave No Trace” ethics and minimum/low impact practices.
- Ability to effectively communicate the above information to others.
- Must show concern for others and ability to organize large groups.
- Ability to appropriately compensate participants for gas (drivers) and/or food.
Essential group equipment that leaders must bring on trips:
- Fuel and fuel bottle(s)
- Pots/pans etc.
- First Aid Kit
- Water Filter or Water Purifier, and Iodine tablets
Essential personal equipment that individuals must bring on backpacking trips:
- Sleeping Bag
- Mattress Pad
- Seasonal Equipment:
- Proper Clothing:NO COTTON!
Thermal Underwear: made of polypropylene (polypro), polyester, nylon, wool, silk, etc.
Insulating Layers: fleece, wool, down (only insulates when dry), etc.
Windproof/Waterproof Layers: typically nylon fabrics
Gloves/Mittens, Hats, Boots, Socks, etc.
- Eating vessels/utensils
- Water Bottles: able to hold two liters